Did I mention I love my new electric skillet? Well, my mother used hers a lot when we were kids and now I’m beginning to understand why. So I picked her brain for some of my favorite recipes from childhood and one I’ve been wanting to make is her really yummy pork chops in tomatoes. Unfortunately, I hadn’t been to the grocery store in over a week and, since this blog is, after all, about what I have in my kitchen on any given day, I thought I’d see if there was another route I could go with what I did have.
- Four pork chops
- One jar store-bought marinara sauce
- Olive or canola oil
- One clove of garlic, pressed
- Half of a small onion, diced
1. Start the electric skillet at 350 to 375 degrees, and cover the bottom with a little bit of olive or canola oil. Once hot, place all four pork chops in the skillet and allow it to brown on each side for about 5 minutes each. Let it stick a little bit!
2. Remove the pork chops and set them aside temporarily. Turn the heat down to about 300. Press the garlic into the remaining oil in the skillet, and drop in the onion. Cook them, stirring often, until they begin to carmelize.
3. Add the entire jar of marinara sauce, as well as about 1/3 jar of water and stir in very well, scraping any brown from the pork chops off the bottom of the skillet. Turn the heat down to between 250 and 275 and allow the sauce to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the pork chops back in to the sauce, scraping sauce away to let the pork chops touch the bottom of the skillet. Allow them to cook on low heat for an hour or more, turning once.
Serve over rice or pasta for a truly delectable and easy meal.