It’s handy to know how to roast chiles and peppers for all kinds of recipes that I make. And since roasted red bell peppers are serious yumminess, here’s a quick step by step guide.
- Red bell pepper
1. Cut the pepper into quarters, clean it, and lay the pieces flat on a baking sheet or a piece of foil directly under the broiler in your stove.
2. Turn the broiler on medium high heat, and don’t go far–you’ll need to watch your peppers.
3. Roast the peppers, turning as needed, until the skins are blackened. This will take at least 10 minutes. Snip the curved edges to keep them flat if necessary.
4. Once they are roasted, put the pepper quarters in a zipper freezer bag and zip it up. Let them steam and sweat until they are cool enough to handle. They will now be ready to peel, and the skin should come off very easily.
5. You can slice them and store them in a small amount of olive oil in the refrigerator, or use them immediately on a sandwich or in a marinara.