I have a bad habit of making things up and never writing them down…ergo, a blog in which to keep track. This one is not for everyone, but it rang my bell! Here’s what I had:
- One cup fresh basil from the garden (about the only thing that is growing!)
- Half cup pine nuts
- Half cup grated parmesan
- Half cup extra virgin olive oil
- Two cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Two roasted green chiles, skinned and minced
- Penne pasta, cooked
1. Place the basil, pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil and garlic in the food processor and pulse it to a nice “pesto consistency”. Some people say to add it in several parts, but it always seems the same to me if I put all the ingredients in together. If you want to get fancy, wait and add the olive oil slowly at the end while the food processor remains on. Remove the blade and add your salt and pepper with a spatula.
2. Cook your pasta (if you haven’t already).
3. Place the pesto in a large skillet and heat slightly to allow the ingredients to cook just a bit, but not until the cheese has melted.
4. Add the diced green chile and pasta. Toss over the heat until the pasta is coated and everything is warm and fragrant.
Serve this with a nice caprese salad and a glass of wine and you have an amazing vegetarian meal, or add a pork chop for nom-nominess.