I’m not a big lettuce eater, so the idea of salad tends to leave me a little cold. But I love a salad full of chunky veggies in a light dressing. This one is simple, quick, and can really involve whatever is in the fridge.
- One cup tomato, cut up in 1/2″ chunks
- One cup ononion, cut in 1/2″ chunks
- One cup cucumber, cut in 1/2″ chunks
- One cup of a fourth vegetable–my favorite is avocado, but this works equally well with zucchini, red cabbage, or whatever you like or have
- Eighth cup olive oil
- One tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Half teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place all the veggies in a big bowl (except avocado–keep those out until near the end).
2. Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together.
3. Toss the veggies with the dressing. When fairly well mixed, add the avocado (if you have it) and toss again very lightly just to combine.
This goes great with anything you cook on the grill, by itself with a baked chicken breast, or with comfort food like meat loaf. Of course, I will throw together a much smaller recipe of this just to have something savory as a snack!