I’m sure it’s possible to be allergic to the ingredients in this delicious and simple dessert, but it is safe for the big three: dairy, wheat, and legumes (peanuts et al).
Back in the day, when I was running the bed and breakfast in Texas, I had a houseful of folks from all over the world. Between my vegetarian horse back rider and the Scottish lady who couldn’t eat any of the big three listed above, I was challenged to create breakfasts and desserts that would appeal to everyone. This rice pudding was a hit with all!
- Four cups cooked rice, still hot
- Two cups vanilla soy milk
- One cup raisins
- Half cup honey
- Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste (or any pie spices you like)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Coat an 8″ square casserole with cooking spray, and pour the ingredients in.
4. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until the entire pudding is bubbly. Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
I have a tendency to overspice this just a bit–I add ginger, cloves and sometimes allspice. You could even add a little bit of black pepper if you are adventuresome. This sets up really nicely, and is just as delicious cold as hot.