When I was a kid, one of my favorite meals was something my mom cooked in the electric skillet called “Steak N Olives”. She served it over rice, although I prefer egg noodles today.
I don’t have an electric skillet, so I’ve had to make some changes to the recipe, but this is so good, it’s worth the wait.
- A pound and a half round steak, cut into 3″ X 3″ pieces
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- One medium onion, chopped in large pieces
- One medium green bell pepper, chopped in large pieces
- One 4 oz jar of green olives, chopped, save the brine
- One can tomato soup
- Three tablespoons cream (heavy cream is best, but half and half will work)
1. Heat the oil in a skillet, then add steak pieces, onions and bell peppers. Just brown the steak, and don’t overcook the veggies.
2. Transfer the steak, onions and peppers into a crock pot. Add the olives.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the soup, cream and brine. Stir until well combined, then add to the crock pot and mix it all together.
4. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours (depending on the temperature of your crock pot). Stir occasionally–even a crock pot can burn on the bottom. Add water as needed, but only if the sauce seems too thick for your taste.
5. Serve over rice or egg noodles when the steak becomes tender.
This makes my mouth water just thinking about it!